Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cows of the day!


Even though there was lots of work to be done, it was so beautiful on Monday that I didn't want to waste the opportunity to gather more photos.  I use them often as reference materials for future artwork, as well as potential blog shots.  Even though most of the leaves have long since deserted the trees, there were enough left to add a little autumn color and combined with the gorgeous blue sky they made a lovely backdrop.

Most of the cows were lolling about the barnyard eating hay, having gotten a little too lazy to actually wander out into the pasture where grass has become a little less abundant.  But, since it was warm and pleasant, I decided that at least a little exercise would be in their best interest, plus it was a much more scenic atmosphere for a photo op.  So, with a little prodding they grudgingly wandered out to the pasture where I pleaded with them to pose every now and then so I could get a few shots.  Very few of them gave in to my begging, but these three complied, I think more out of pity than cooperativeness, so I decided to honor them by naming them all "Cow(s) of the Day!"

On the left we have Ainsley.  Though her full name is Otter Morr Dakota Ainsley, for reasons that I cannot explain whenever I interact with her I call her Ainsley Butterworth, in as close to a Katherine Hepburn voice as I can get, pronouncing Butterworth as Buttuh wuth.  I don't know why I have chosen to give her a last name, as none of the others have one or, even more puzzlingly, why it should be pronounced thusly, but there you have it.  Perhaps it's because she always behaves in a very businesslike manner, always on her way somewhere with something important to do.  In fact, Ainsley may look familiar, as she is the star of August's "Ainsley Freshens" post, and the video clip of her mooing to her new calf attests to her businesslike nature!  Ainsley is 5 years old and a very good milker, very patient and calm.

In the middle is Neysa and on the right is Sonya. Both 3 years old, Neysa and Sonya can often be found hanging out together.  In fact, except for Neysa's darker face and legs, they look very much alike and have almost identical demeanors. They too are calm and quiet, but since this is their first lactation they are not the best of milkers.  This is normal though, and as they get older they should milk better with each lactation.

It was a very successful walk among the cows and I will post more photos in the coming days.  My next post will concern the very unique pig barn on our property.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Laurie - what a lovely photo. Ainsley looks like she is winking at you.

Elizabeth said...

Love your blog!

Post a Comment