Sunday, February 12, 2012

More tiny paintings

Part of the reason for my lack of blogging time is that I am trying to make more painting time.  Therefore, I thought I should at least post what I paint.  Whether the results of my efforts are worth the time I spend on them is debatable, but here they are anyway: (click on images to enlarge)


Ainsley and Wanda



Guineas in the Snow



Tub O' Ducks


The Pig Barn




These paintings are a bit larger than the last series that I shared; these are 4" x 6" and fall under the OSWOA heading.  Yes, Original Small Works Of Art is a real thing that I did not make up.  Unlike ACEO pieces, which can be prints (and are 2.5"x3.5"), these must be original works of art.  The idea is to make original art affordable and accessible, although if you look on ebay or etsy you will find that some OSWOA pieces are still downright expensive.  

Anyway, I thought that the small size would be great to experiment with.  These paintings were done on Yupo in watercolor.  Yupo is a synthetic paper with a plastic quality to it.  Normally, any kind of plastic will repel water media of all types, but Yupo accepts it.  However, unlike traditional watercolor paper, paint dries on the surface of Yupo rather than being absorbed into it, so the finished effect is much different.  I'm not sure if I like it.  One thing I will say on its behalf though, is that mistakes just wipe right off of the paper with a wet paper towel.  Although, I kind of always thought of that as one of watercolor's many charms and challenges ..... mistakes become part of the process as well as the finished piece.

All in all, I'm finding that I enjoy working in a much smaller format than I'm used to.  The jury on Yupo is still out though.

No comments:

Post a Comment